Friday, April 3, 2009

The Ability to Bounce back...

Final year of my college, Placement activities were going on and we got to know that we would be going to Lovely Institute in Jalandhar for Hewitt. Nobody knew anything about Hewitt, the only thing that was in mind was that it is an MNC. Hopes got thrashed a bit when we got to know that they have openings for Testing profiles only. But we went for it because most of us had no offer in Hand. As usual I along with most of classmates cleared the first few rounds. And then came the interview part. I answered most of technical questions and was sitting pretty confident out there. Suddenly the Interviewer asked me to tell him one of my strengths which makes me different from some of other candidates. Well I was surprised by this question because I came in interview with techie mindset. But after thinking for few seconds, I told him that its my ability to bounce back from difficult situations!!! I don't know from where this thing came in my mind but somewhere down the line I think I have this quality. Right from childhood I have kept the fighting spirit alive in me. There was time when I slipped to second position in my class by just 3 marks but next year I came back with a very strong mindset and the difference was of 30-40 marks. But the only difference was I was at top. I felt the same thing when we used to play cricket. I still remember the day when I was hit for SIX on last ball of innings and our team lost the match!!! I was in class 7Th then and our captain didn't gave me ball for next 6-7 matches. Even though, I was the only bowler with proper bowling action apart from him. The things became even more horrible when they started using coin to decide who amongst me n my friend (both in same school/class) will play the match, because we always used to be with one extra player. But then one day luckily I won the toss and I was playing for pride (and of course rupee five bet). That match had quota limit of 4 overs for a single bowler. Some calculations went wrong and in the end the only bowler who had one over spare had just bowled the very last over. So he was out of equation. The only choice left was me. Equation was 1 over and 6 runs needed and 3 wickets in hand. I got hit for six last time when I tried bowling medium pace, so I decided to bowl leg spin. First two balls produced 2 run outs. Equation became 6 of 4 balls required. But then a slog sweep from batsman earned him a boundary and I saw the captain abusing me from boundary. It somehow just charged me with anger and there I was telling the umpire "Right hand Over, medium fast". The ball landed at yorker length and top of Off stump was kissing the ground. This Win changed everything for me. From extra to regular member to opening bowler to all rounder and in the End Captain of my Street level team :). This has been story of my life. Life has been a Sine Curve with so many UPs and DOWNs. But thats how I like it to be.

Somehow I felt today that I have lost this ability. I have become very cool n calm, which perhaps is a good thing but at times you need to change the gears. And I think this is the time to implement thing at professional level!!! Will update with the results soon....

No comments: